Monday 25 April 2011

And Round Two Begins!

Day 22 and the first day of round 2 of my chemotherapy.  I started off by heading down to the Tom Baker Cancer Centre for 9:15 am. A little early but just couldn't wait to get started I guess.  It went well as the drug protocols are always the same: anti nausea medications, hydration, cisplastin, etoposide, anti nausea meds, and bleomycin for me to take home in my goodie bag.

Today was not bad and so far no major side effects although I feel pretty run down.  I am still fairly pumped about the news of the tumour shrinkage and feeling very positive about getting through this round with more positive results.  I had a conversation with a gentleman who has colon cancer that has spread to his lungs and he has been doing treatments every two weeks for the last two years now. His cancer is not curable but the treatments have been able to prolong his life.  He told me his doctors never gave him this long and he said it laughing.  It is remarkable the amount of people who face situations far worse than my own and can keep such a positive attitude.  I also talked with another man who was in with his wife who has been undergoing treatment since 2000. 11 years and still fighting was really amazing to me.  Hearing these stories really do put things into perspective and remind me that I am really lucky.  My battle seems so simple in comparison and with far better results in the end.

I want to thank everyone for their words of encouragement, messages, texts, and e-mails.  It really helps when I know I have such a large cheering section backing me every step of the way. As always love you all!

1 comment:

  1. My best friend had breast cancer in 1998. She didn't go to the Dr. until it had spread to her bones. The Dr's had pretty well written her off and at one appointment the Dr said "Are you still here". I am pleased to annonce that 13 years later she's still here. Alive and well and enjoying life to the fullest.
    A neighbor's uncle who is a Dr. reminds us that Dr's "only practice " medicine.
    Keep up your positive attitude, it works a good as any medicine.

    ReplyDelete